New Cure JM Video

Saturday, January 10, 2009

What is Juvenile Dermatomyositis?

Juvenile dermatomyositis (JDM) is an autoimmune disease causing vasculitis that manifests itself in children; it is the pediatric counterpart of dermatomyositis. In JDM, the body's immune system attacks blood vessels throughout the body, causing inflammation called vasculitis. In the United States, the incidence rate of JDM is approximately 3 cases per million children per year, leading to 300 to 500 new cases annually and affecting an estimated 3,000 to 5,000 children.
The vasculitis caused by JDM manifests itself predominantly in two ways:
One is a distinctive rash. The rash often affects the face, eyelids, and hands, and sometimes the skin above joints, including the knuckles, knees, elbows, etc. The color of the rash is a pinkish purple, and is called heliotrope (after a flower of the same name with approximately this color). On the hands and face, the rash very closely resembles allergies, eczema, fifth disease, or other more common skin condition, but the heliotrope color is unique to the inflammatory process of JDMS. Some children develop calcinosis, which are calcium deposits under the skin. The rash is the source of the "dermato-" part of the name of the disease.
The second symptom caused by vasculitis is muscle inflammation. This symptom is the source of the "-myositis" part of the name of the disease ("myo" = muscle, "-itis" = inflammation of). Muscle Inflammation causes muscle weakness, which can cause fatigue, clumsiness, not keeping up physically with peers, and eventually inability to perform tasks like climbing stairs, lifting objects, and performing other manual tasks. Other signs may include falling, dysphonia, or dysphagia. The muscle weakness often causes a medical misdiagnosis of muscular dystrophy or other muscle disease. Some patients develop contractures, when the muscle shortens and causes joints to stay bent; exercise can prevent this. The muscles first affected tend to be proximal (i.e., neck, shoulders, back, and abdominal). About half of children with JDM also have pain in their muscles.
I have both symptoms and am learning more and more each day about this big word disease. A very helpful website that we have found is www.curejm.com. We have talked to the head people of this organization and they have given us some very good advice and information.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kya Kay....we sure did miss you in Sunday School this morning. Daycee was the only one there so she got lots of attention. I hope you have a good nights rest tonight and I will be praying for you each day this week. I love you Kya....Johnnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my name is Tracey Chitwood. I go to church with Becky Hale. I will be praying for your precious baby girl and your family. I have never heard of this autoimmune disorder but I hoped that my praise report might be a blessing to your family and help you on the hard days to remember there is always hope. I was diagnosed several years ago with Lupus and a number of other autoimmune disorders. I had never been so sick and felt so hopeless. The symptoms changed almost daily and it was very hard to diagnose. One the diagnosis was made then the medicine was so expensive that it was only the grace of God I was able to afford it. Anyway I now have been symptom free for several years. I was healed! Some might say I have just been lucky to not have a flare up but I truly feel that I have been HEALED. My father passed away a year plus ago from Scleroderma (another autoimmune disorder) unfortunately his was not diagnosed in time. It was recommended to me that I be tested because of my prior history but I showed no signs and my ANA was negetive. I pray God be your strength and your peace in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete